Saturday, September 17, 2011

Welcome back Fall- Whole wheat pumpkin cranberry scones (of course healthy!!)

Longest title ever? Maybe but I think it covered everything :) These scones are really, really good. They are vegan and delicious. I adapted the recipe from Happy Herbivore. Have you been there? Amazing website with delicious recipes. Well I stumbled across this jewel earlier this week and knew I had to make it this weekend! I made them last night and it took me approximately 10 minutes. Super easy. I enjoyed one this morning after my run with my coffee-all the while pretending it wasn't like a sauna outside. Good morning. 

A couple of adaptions: I used agave syrup instead of maple (we didn't have any) and regular whole wheat flour instead of pastry flour. They were still delicious with both these changes! 

Whole wheat pumpkin scone 
adapted from here

1.5 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 tbsp baking powder
pinch of salt
3.5 maple syrup
1/2 cup pumpkin (pureed, not pumpkin pie filling)
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
2 tbsp non-dairy milk (optional)
1/2 cup cranberries (if using dry just soak in hot water for 10-15 mins)

Preheat oven to 350. Grease a cookie sheet.
Combine flour, baking powder, salt, and pumpkin spice and whisk together to ensure even distribution of the ingredients.
Add wet ingredients: pumpkin, maple syrup, cranberries. Stir together to make dough. They make a dry dough (like biscuits but if you think it's too dry add milk one tablespoon at a time). You can make drop scones (like I did) or you can cut them like triangle by rolling the dough into one large ball and flattening slightly. Cut like you would a pizza into 'slices". 
Bake for 13 to 15 minutes, or until firm. Enjoy!

Hope you like these. Hopefully soon I will get up my courage to make homemade falafel. I've been wanting to for a while but it always seems so daunting!! I did this same thing with lentils until one day I just made them and they are so easy! I saw a falafel mix at CM last night. Maybe I should start there. I'll keep you updated!! 

- Hillary

No comments:

Post a Comment